Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I drink lots of water....couple of glasses a day...

I often ask people coming to me for advise " how much water do you drink?" 9 out of 10 would answer "I drink lots of water". After further investigation I find that "lots of water" usually means one or two glasses a day, far from the recommended 8 to 10 glasses.
Sometimes I wonder if their "illnesses" or "problems" are caused by dehydration. Water, in my opinion, is the most important nutrient and very underrated. The human body is about 60% water. It is involved in all our bodily functions. It also maintains our body temperature, flushes out toxins, and transports nutrients to our cells. When you are dehydrated, you may feel weak, lightheaded, dizzy, nauseated, confused, your sweat may stop, your heart may race, your skin may feel less elastic, and your muscle may cramp. Breathing requires water. We use water even just sitting on the couch. The recommended 8-glass intake is just enough for maintaining our bodily function. If you only drink about a quarter of what we are supposed to, your body can not and will not function properly. Can you imagine if you only drink a glass or two on a daily basis?
Cheers!

No comments: